Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Wikis - thing 16

I heart wikipedia. Understanding its pitfalls, I find it to be so useful when I want a quick answer about something, whether I'm feeling uninformed and stupid (it replaces my "Dictionary of Cultural Literacy") or when I'd like a synopsis or information about a book or movie. I follow with interest anything in the news about it, like how companies are altering negative information about themselves.


Of the other types of wikis I checked out, I thought the library subject guides were an interesting application of the technology. I imagine it takes a lot of time for our information services department to maintain and update the sites listed in ours...maybe it's something that could be a full staff effort, with some oversight so that it doesn't get too huge.


I found through a Bull Run wiki link that the number one song on the day I was born was "How can you mend a broken heart" by the Bee Gees. Don't know that one, but I guess I was busy being cute as a button, or crying.



No comments: